STRATFORD—Holy Name of Jesus Parish in Stratford celebrated St. Patrick’s Day on March 17 with a traditional Irish buffet and also honored St. Joseph’s Day with a dessert of Zeppoli.
“A sing along, story telling, Irish and Italian music, decorations created by the Religious Education students and the parish raffle rounded out the evening. The event was organized by the Parish Task Force members.
Parish Secretary Maryjean daSilva summed up the diverse weekend this way, ”Padraig! ~ Buona festa di san Patrizio!.”
Holy Name is one of five Roman Catholic Churches in Stratford, and is a part of the Diocese of Bridgeport. Before its founding, only St James Church existed in the town. The parish was founded in 1923, with the main building being built in 1940. Fr. Andrew Marus is serving as Pastor.
In 1991, the members of the Parish of St John Nepomucene of Bridgeport merged with Holy Name. Although Holy Name was founded as a “Mother Church of Slovaks,” the parish family today comes from a variety of cultural backgrounds, though it still pays homage to our Slovak origins with several traditions. It is located at 1950 Barnum Avenue in Stratford. Phone (203) 375-5815 or email us. Visit the website.