BETHEL—Knights of Pavia Council 48 in Bethel joined with enthusiastic parishioners of the newly merged Sacred Heart/St. Patrick’s Parish in the Dedication of Mercy Hall for a farewell to their pastor of the past twelve years, Father Joe Cervero.
The day’s events were the culmination of years of planning and fundraising to restore and renovate the old St. Patrick’s Church, located in a section of Redding known as “The Ridge,” an area rich in history as the very road used by soldiers of the American Revolution, and escaping slaves during the Civil War.
Constructed in 1880 to serve the spiritual needs of the increasing Irish community escaping the disastrous potato famine in Ireland, the original church was enlarged in 1895 with a new sanctuary built and dedicated by the Most Reverend J. McSiernan of Hartford at a Confirmation of a class of thirteen boys and girls.
Pictured at the parish social following the dedication are the District Deputy of the Knights of Columbus, Vic Flagello and his wife, Heather Anne, Bishop Frank J. Caggiano, Grand Knight of Pavia Council Tom Ryan, and Father Joe Cervero, current pastor of Sacred Heart/ St. Patrick’s Parish.
Presided over by Bishop Caggiano, with an honor guard from Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus and Bagpiper from Pavia Council, the dedication included a greeting by Mike Handy, coordinator of the day’s events, with talks from Tom Ryan, grand knight of Pavia Council, Dan Conlon and Father Joe Cervero before a blessing and final thoughts offered by Bishop Caggiano.
The rest of the day was spent enjoying each others’ company, wishing Father Joe “godspeed” in his new assignment, and enjoying a beautiful fall day of games, hot dogs, brats, hamburgers and an inexhaustible variety of pizzas courtesy of the “Big Green Truck Pizza.”
By Grand Knight of Pavia Council Tom Ryan