HAMDEN—An historical exhibit dedicated to the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Congregation’s newly beatified foundress, Blessed Clelia Merloni, was unveiled to the public during a dedication ceremony on June 28—the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Founded in Italy in 1894 by Blessed Clelia Merloni, who was beatified in November 2018, the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus minister in 15 countries worldwide. The Apostles have served in the United States since 1902 and established roots in the New Haven area in 1906.
Featuring interactive audio/visual displays, artifacts and replicas, the Apostle Legacy Exhibit tells the story of who the Apostles are—both past and present—and how the congregation came to be founded. The exhibit’s main attractions include three thematic rooms: The Mission Room, which provides a history of Apostle ministries in the United States; the Founder’s Room, which focuses on the life of Blessed Clelia and her founding the congregation; and a replica of Blessed Clelia’s bedroom in Rome, where she spent the last two-and-a-half years of her life.
As visitors travel down the main hallway from room to room they are given the opportunity to learn about the role prayer, ministry and community play in the life of an Apostle.
“This exhibit is a true tribute to the legacy the Sisters have left here in the United States,” said Vice Provincial Sr. Virginia Herbers, ASCJ, who spearheaded the creation and design of the exhibit. “It is also our way of honoring the beatification of Blessed Clelia and allowing her legacy of holiness to bless all those who can benefit from her example of love, mercy, and reparation.”
Housed on the ground floor of Sacred Heart Manor at the U.S. Provincialate in Hamden, the Apostle Legacy Exhibit was made possible through the generosity of the Knights of Columbus Museum—which donated several display furnishings—and numerous benefactors.
The Apostle Legacy Exhibit is open to the public every Sunday from 2-4 pm and by appointment. To schedule an appointment, call 203.248.4031. The exhibit entrance is located near Clelian Center at the rear of 261 Benham Street, Hamden, CT 06514.