Due to inclement weather, the Catholic Center is closed today, Wednesday March 21, 2018
Monthly Newspaper • DIOCESE OF BRIDGEPORT
FAIRFIELD – Sacred Heart University will host a variety of events in November and December to celebrate the 2017 holiday season. The programs range from beautifully arranged instrumental and choral concerts to Broadway musical medleys. There is sure to be something for everyone during SHU’s holiday celebration.
- West Campus Community Tree Lighting: Join the SHU community on Wednesday, November 29, at 5:30 pm at West Campus (3135 Easton Turnpike, Fairfield) for the second annual community tree lighting at the former General Electric global headquarters. Special guests at this neighborhood celebration will include the SHU Choir, the Brass Ensemble and Santa. Free admission.
- Christmas Tree Lighting on the Quad: Gather around the Quad Christmas tree as SHU lights up the main campus with this annual tradition on Thursday, November 30, at 5:00 pm on the Quad. Carols will be sung and hot cocoa will be served. Free admission.
- Winter Soulstice: Join the SHU Dance Program on Sunday, December 3, at 2:00 pm at the Edgerton Center for the Performing Arts. The special performance will include the SHU Dance Ensemble, Hip Hop Production Class, the SHU Irish Dance Ensemble and more. The student-run Dance Ensemble will present works of student choreography in all styles of dance. General admission $15.
- Festival of Lessons and Carols: Join the SHU Choirs on Sunday, December 3, at 4:00 pm at the Chapel of the Holy Spirit as they sing the Christmas story to life through the traditional Lessons and Carols. The celebration of the birth of Jesus is told through nine short biblical readings from Genesis, the prophetic books and the Gospels, interspersed with the singing of Christmas carols, hymns and choir music. Free admission.
- Holiday Voyage: Celebrate the holiday season with the SHU Concert Band on Saturday, December 9 at 7 pm at the Edgerton Center for the Performing Arts, as they prepare for their upcoming tour in Prague and Vienna. The show will feature timeless classics and a Christmas sing-a-long. General admission $10.
- A Choral Christmas Extravaganza: Christmas Around the World: Come hear all the SHU Choirs on Sunday, December 10 at 2 p.m. at the Edgerton Center for the Performing Arts, as they take you on a tour celebrating the traditions, joy and wonder of Christmas near and far. This musical journey of international favorites is sure to be the highlight of the holiday season. General admission $10.
- A Broadway Holiday: Join the New Haven Symphony Orchestra Brass Quintet and a special guest soloist on Friday, December 15, at 7:30 pm at the Chapel of the Holy Spirit. The program will feature such Broadway holiday favorites as “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” “My Favorite Things,” “White Christmas,” and more. It’s the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. General admission $35.
All events will take place on SHU’s main campus at 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, with the exception of the West Campus Community Tree Lighting at 3135 Easton Turnpike, Fairfield. Tickets for the ticketed events can be purchased online at www.edgertoncenter.org. Contact the Edgerton Center for the Performing Arts box office at (203) 371-7908 for additional information.
About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University, the second-largest independent Catholic university in New England, offers more than 70 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs on its main campus in Fairfield, Conn., and satellites in Connecticut, Luxembourg and Ireland. More than 8,500 students attend the University’s five colleges: Arts & Sciences; Health Professions; Nursing; the Jack Welch College of Business; and the Isabelle Farrington College of Education. The Princeton Review includes SHU in its guides Best 381 Colleges – 2017 Edition, “Best in the Northeast” and Best 294 Business Schools– 2017 Edition. U.S.News & World Report ranks SHU among the best master’s universities in the North in its “Best Colleges 2017” publication. The Chronicle of Higher Education also names SHU one of the fastest-growing Roman Catholic universities in its 2016 almanac. SHU fields 32 division I athletic teams and has an award-winning program of community service. www.sacredheart.edu