The Diocese of Bridgeport includes more than 460,000 registered Catholics in Fairfield County, Connecticut, representing 45 percent of the total population.
Our official newspaper, The Fairfield County Catholic, is mailed free of charge to 102,000 homes (and online), and free phone/tablet App search for Fairfield County Catholic.
Diocese of Bridgeport social media:
Phone App: Diocese of Bridgeport
Facebook: Diocese of Bridgeport
In addition to its 82 parishes, the Diocese sponsors 30 regional elementary schools and five diocesan high schools. These schools, along with three high schools directed by religious communities, educate nearly 10,000 youth. Catholic universities Sacred Heart University and Fairfield University combine for 11,000 enrolled students.
The Diocese also sponsors nine Bishop Curtis Homes for the elderly in Bethel, Danbury, Greenwich, Stamford, Fairfield, and Bridgeport. It also sponsors a multitude of charitable institutions including the Cardinal Shehan Center for inner-city children, the Thomas Merton Center in Bridgeport, and the New Covenant House in Stamford.
Catholic Charities of Fairfield County, with 25 program offices throughout the county, provides the largest private network of social services in southwestern Connecticut.
St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport is a Catholic hospital serving 213,000 patients.
There are 14 Catholic Cemeteries within the Diocese.
The Diocese of Bridgeport was established on August 6, 1953, as an offshoot of the Diocese of Hartford.
There have been five Bishops of Bridgeport to date:
His Eminence, Lawrence Cardinal Shehan, D.D. (1953-1961; d. 1984)
The Most Reverend Walter W. Curtis, S.T.D. (1961-1988; d. 1997)
His Eminence, Cardinal Edward M. Egan, D.D., J.C.D. (1988-2000)
The Most Reverend William E. Lori, S.T.D., (2001-2012)
The Most Reverend Frank J. Caggiano, appointed by the Holy Father on July 31, 2013.
Bishop’s social media:
Facebook: Frank J. Caggiano
Bishop Caggiano’s installation took place on September 19, 2013.
Credit: Blue Mass header picture taken by B.K. Angeletti